Thursday, April 30, 2015

 
His Work and Glory

Another week in the beautiful city of 花蓮! I love this place so much(: 
We had to drop an investigator this week, Xie Dixiong, because his whole purpose in getting baptized was so he could marry Sister Howell... haha! That's not our purpose as missionaries ;) But we got two new awesome investigators! The elders found them and invited them to come to English class and we met with them afterwards. Their names are Chloe and Journey and they are both 16 years old and so incredibly sweet! They both committed to baptism at the end of May! Journey usually lives at her brother's house during the weekdays because of school and her parents' house on the weekends, but she specifically came to her brother's early on Sunday so she could come to church! So wonderful! And we had forgotten to get their numbers after English class, so on Friday President Lu received a random phone call and it was Chloe telling us that she was going to come to church on Sunday! What?! They are so awesome! I thank God everyday for these two sweet girls. 
 
We found a random service opportunity this week. We were biking and I saw this a'ma pulling vegetables out of the ground. We asked if we could help and she said sure! So we jumped into the dirt and started pulling haha! It was so much fun and she was so sweet! We taught a quick lesson and prayed for her. To help us clean our hands off she jumped into a stream, cupped water into her hands, and then brought the water to our hands! She's the cutest(: 
We also had a chance to do some missionary work with the members this week. The Young Single Adults wanted to go out proselyting, so we split work and took them to the night market. It was funny to see how nervous they all were. This was everyday stuff for me, but these members weren't used to sharing the gospel with complete strangers! It was so much fun and I ended the night in a great mood(:
This week my companion amazed me several times with her missionary skills. I think it is incredible that God can work through us even if we aren't masters of the language. We knocked this one door and the lady told us that she was "bai bai de" (worships her ancestors). Sister Meyers instantly whipped out a Family History pamphlet and then started showing her pictures of her family! The lady was interested and listened a little longer than she was probably planning. At another door I had this very strong impression that I shouldn't say anything. So I sat back and watched as my companion struggled with words but still got her message across. The man accepted a Book of Mormon and set up a return appointment! God is a God of miracles. I am so proud of Sister Meyers and her willingness to work hard and share this gospel despite her lack of confidence in the language. She is a real example to me. This is God's work, not ours. He will work through His imperfect children to get things done.
I have come to the conclusion that learning a language is one of the weirdest things ever. I also believe it is even crazier to learn a language with God's help. For example, a member invited us to come to her house this week. She lives outside of our area so I had to use the map to get there. Along the way I realized that our map was very old and didn't even have her street on it. I pulled over and asked for help. In all honesty, I did not understand most of what was said to me. I started biking again, and suddenly I had this feeling of knowing. I knew where I had to turn and I kept getting impressions about which way to go. The words that these random people on the side of the road had said to me started to make sense in my mind. I could NOT have found my way to this member's house without God's help. He truly does enlighten our minds and help us. He is guiding us everyday of our lives. 
I found this quote this morning that I absolutely love: "Brothers and sisters, we have a loving Heavenly Father who has designed our earthly existence so that we can individually learn the lessons we need to learn to qualify for eternal life in His presence."-Elder Richard J. Maynes. Amen to that! We all have different experiences because we have different things that we all need to learn. My life has not gone according to my plan, but that's because God has something even better in store for me. All my experiences are helping me to become the person that I need to be and help me to qualify to return to God's presence. I am so grateful for my mission. It has been the best decision I have ever made. I love my life. I've never been happier.
I love you all so very much! The church is true!
我愛你!
簡姐妹






 

No comments:

Post a Comment