Saturday, February 7, 2015

 
The Power of Prayer

Another week in the beautiful city of Dan Shui! Both Sister Fan and I love this place and have decided we are never serving anywhere else... so it look like we are eternal companions ;) This week we lost a lot of investigators. They either stood us up or told us they weren't interested. But I am not discouraged. I know that I am helping to prepare these people to meet other missionaries somewhere down the line!
Tuesday night we had quite the adventure trying to get to our appointment on time. So an LA decided to treat us to hot pot (which takes about an hour to eat). We went a little over time and we told him we had to go. He said, "Ok, but you need to finish this first!" So we tried shoving boiling hot food down our throats so that we could leave on time haha! We got outside and it was sprinkling lightly, but we didn't have time to put on our ponchos so we just started biking into Dan Shui. We had about 30 minutes, and it usually takes us about 45 minutes to get into Dan Shui. So we said a prayer and we biked as fast as we could! We must have had angels pushing along or something haha! I was laughing the whole time. Not to mention the rain picked up so by the time we got there we were soaked. (It doesn't rain all winter but decides to rain on this particular day, of course). But I am so glad we got to this lesson! It was so spiritual. We taught the Plan of Salvation to Feng Dixiong and he just loved it. It all made sense to him. Before we came to this earth we lived with our Heavenly Father. He provided this plan so that we could all gain a body and gain experience. He provided a Savior, Jesus Christ, to overcome death and sin so that we can return to Heavenly Father's presence again after we die. How beautiful is that? Please keep praying that Feng Dixiong's body will get healthy. He is a fighter. He even bore his testimony in church on Sunday. It was so neat.
As for our other bike adventure: we were up in Dan Shui another day and we needed to get back to Zhu Wei to teach a lesson. We gave ourselves the right amount of time and headed back. As we were searching for our investigator's house we suddenly ended up on the freeway headed into Bali (the elder's area). We pulled over and called the investigator. Turns out I had heard her wrong and we were looking for the wrong street haha! Oops. So we had to bike all the way across the Bali bridge and turn around all while trying to avoid getting hit by traffic (don't worry mom, I'm ok). I couldn't help but laugh at our situation haha!
I tried contacting some people the other day, and discovered they were from Australia! So I switched to English... and oh my goodness who would have thought that I would be more comfortable speaking to people in Chinese than I am in English? Luckily he knew Chinese so we switched back to that haha! What a strange moment that was for me.
As for my language: I finally passed Phase 1! When you get on the island they have a language study program and there are 3 parts: Phase 1 is all the religious vocabulary, Phase 2 is 2000 flashcards of everyday words, and Phase 3 teaches you characters from the Book of Mormon. So now I can finally learn how to order food at restaraunts on my own! Yeah! ;)

 
This week I really gained a testimony of the importance of prayer. My companion is such a wonderful example to me. If we don't know what we should do, she tells us we need to pray. If we need to make it to an appointment on time, she tells me we need to pray. Before we walk into a lesson she makes us say a prayer. I have noticed a difference in my life as I have turned to my Heavenly Father in prayer to thank Him for all my blessings and to ask Him for help. My life has gone so much smoother and I am definitely happier. I have received so much more personal revelation and inspiration. God has given us prayer so that we can communicate with Him. He is our Heavenly Father. He wants to hear about our day. He wants to hear about every single moment of it. He cares about us so much and has given us this method so that we can communicate with Him. How incredible is that? We are able to communicate with the creator of the universe. I promise that as you turn to Him in prayer you will receive guidance and direction. You will receive comfort and answers to your prayers. I know He loves and knows each and every one of us individually. I invite you all to build your relationship with your Heavenly Father through sincere prayer.
I love this work. I love this gospel. I love the happiness that it brings to my life. I am so grateful for the Plan of Salvation. I know who I am, I know where I came from, and I know where I'm going.
I love you all!(:
我愛你!

簡姐妹
P.S. I am going to start being a Facebook missionary, which means that I have to deactive my personal account. If you see a "Sister Courtney Jenkins" on Facebook please please don't contact it! It is purely for missionary work. Thank you (:
 
                                                 A picture of Shu Wei in the morning
 

No comments:

Post a Comment