Sunday, January 18, 2015




 
Everyone is Dead

This week was pretty slow. Not because it was bad or anything, but because nothing happened. Oh, and all of our investigators are dead. So that's pretty zaogao. We had to drop so many of them because they weren't progressing and we even got dropped by one! So we have been struggling to find people to teach.
Last Tuesday we had Zone Meeting. They introduced the mission vision for the month: Obedience and Using Time Wisely. They asked me to bear my testimony on one of them and I picked obedience. Whoa. 6 months ago if you asked me to bear my testimony about obedience I wouldn't have done it. But since coming on my mission I have really realized the blessings that come from being obedient! Mosiah 2:41 says: "And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness." I have been so much happier since I have started being more obedient. It is rather selfish that I have this opportunity to come here for a year and a half and learn and grow without the distractions of the world. What a great opportunity this has been for me.

 
On Friday our dear companion, Sister Zhong, got taken away from us because she got a duanchuan (a member, usually youth-aged, who serve a mission for a couple missions). So we are now back to only dealing with our own area. We had a lesson with a less active, Wu Dixiong, and the spirit was so incredibly strong. We could tell that he really wanted to return to church, but he just doesn't know how to. You can tell that he really wants to be happy again. This gospel truly does bring happiness! This gospel has blessed my life so much! I am so grateful I was born into a family where I could receive the gospel and then develop my own testimony! Trust me, I would not be here in Taiwan right now if I didn't know for myself that this gospel is true and that it can bring true happiness into the lives of everyone!
We had the opportunity to do temple tours on Friday. We did a tour with these two members. The boy was preparing to serve a mission (in California yeah!) and he was expressing his concerns about not knowing the language and not knowing the gospel as well as he liked to. I was able to bear my testimony that this is the Lord's work and yeah, knowing the language is helpful, but it isn't everything. The Spirit is what does the true converting. As long as you can invite the Spirit you don't really need to know the language. I really needed that tour because sometimes I feel like I am very inadequate, but the Lord sends the simple and weak to confound the wise!
As for investigators, everyone is dead. We literally have no one to teach. We tried meeting with our investigator, Sungeon, and he gave us cookies and chocolate bars and then dumped us. I guess that's one way to do it!
Li Tongxue's dad doesn't want him getting baptized until he is 20 years old... so please pray that his heart will be softened!
Funny moments of the week: we taught English class in Beitou this week. We teach the little kids class, but this man that attends the advanced class started following Sister Murri and I around saying, "you're so beautiful. You're so cute" in the creepiest way possible. Elder Karlinsey kept saying, "Hey, Tom, come back over here" or "Tom, you can't say that to missionaries." He finally was like, "Tom, that's actually a really rude thing to say in America. Don't say that." Haha! I couldn't help but laugh! I thought it was so funny!
I got off the MRT and this man walked up to me and in English said, "Where are you going?" I told him, "Umm... home?" and he pointed at my nametag and said, "Where are you going?" And I said, "Well, I'm a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." He said, "oh... well I'm going to the hospital. Right now. Bye." And then walked away. People are so interesting.
I called an investigator the other night and tried asking him where he had read to in the Book of Mormon. All of a sudden he was telling me about sleep and I was like, "what are you talking about?" Sister Murri then told me, "You asked him where he reads his book, not where he's read to." Oops. This language is so fun ;)
I am loving my mission so much! I reached my six month mark this week, what is life? This time is flying by. All of these experiences are helping me to learn and grow and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
I love you all so much! Thanks for all the cards I am STILL receiving!(: You are all so sweet and supportive! Thank you!
我愛你!

簡姐妹

 

No comments:

Post a Comment