Thursday, November 27, 2014








 
A Sight to See

Hey, Nihao! This week was a humor-filled week! The Lord wanted me to be happy ;) So starting with Monday: it was so cold and rainy all day! It was horrible, but not that bad; whenever I get cold I think to myself "Hey, you could be in Russia!" and I get over myself (Sorry Jake). Anyways, so we went to this street to do some door knocking. Remember that man from last week who didn't know what a prayer was and kept trying to get us to come into his house? Well, we saw him again! We were in the middle of praying and he came up and started poking Sister Murri in the arm. She told him, "we're praying. Wait a second." But then he started pacing and mumbling things to her again. The whole time I'm still trying to pray but I'm also laughing. Finally Sister Murri started telling him that she couldn't understand him and we had to go. He kept mumbling at us, so we just walked away haha! Oh man. He's our friend ;) Since it was pouring rain outside we decided to keep our beautiful blue ponchos on. Man, we must have been a sight to see! Imagine you're a Taiwanese person and these two white girls knock on your door and they are soaking wet and look like oompa loompas. Not to mention that when they want to give you a Book of Mormon or a pamphlet they have to hike up their ponchos in order to reach their bag. Oh, and one of them is carrying a CD player (me). It was quite comical. And when we were biking it was hard to see because of the rain! I think I'm going to go buy myself some swim goggles or a ski mask or something. 
Tuesday morning we had interviews with the president. Man, my president is seriously so great. He has a timer so he doesn't go over time with his interviews, but I went off on so many tangents that he just ignored the buzzer. Several times. Oops. Later that day the Elders were trying to show us how to fill up the new baptismal font, so they brought us into the men's bathroom. But when we were all walking out another pair of sisters saw us and were like, "umm..." haha! Wednesday we had a wonderful peike. Her name is Jin Jie Mei and she is super spunky and hyper. I love it. Her English is super good too. So after our lesson she walked across the street to her scooter and Sister Murri and I started to get ready to leave. We heard her shout across the street to us, "Hey! Come over here! This boy is Christian!" haha! So we go and meet this boy and he's like, "Yeah, I've never met this lady before in my life." But we got his number so it all worked out. We just want to take Jin Jie Mei finding with us. She would work miracles I'm sure. 
Thursday morning we went on this giant goose chase. Wednesday we had contacted this lady and she was like, "Yeah come visit me tomorrow!" We put her number in our phone and saw that she was a former investigator, and her name was "Taiyu Mama" (Taiyu is another language that is spoken here). So we were like, "well, this will be interesting!" We called her and asked which house was hers. She told us 23. We went there, but no one answered. So we called her and she said 3. So we walked down the street some more and rang the bell, but she wasn't letting us up! We rang a neighbor's bell and he let us up. We got to her door, and she didn't answer when we knocked! We called again and she said to go where we met her the day before, which was on the OPPOSITE end of the street. So we traveled there and found her in number 58... I don't know how she messed that up haha! So we asked her what she expected from our lesson, and she said that she just wanted friends. Oh dear me. So we would say something like, "God is your Heavenly Father and he loves you," and she would respond, "Oh really... you girls are so beautiful." Or "through baptism we can become clean." "Oh really... hey so are you from America?" haha! She was quite the character ;)

 
On Friday CANDY GOT BAPTIZED!!! Ahh! It was seriously the best thing ever! It took a lot of work. We had to first get her to the building. And then when we got there Sister Murri and I ran around unlocking every door possible trying to find baptismal clothes! We finally found them, thank goodness! And then Elder Ploeg, the elder from my generation, got a call saying the guy who was supposed to baptize her couldn't show up and if he could do it instead. So he really quickly memorized how to say the prayer in Chinese haha! But oh my goodness, it was such a spiritual baptismal meeting. I was so happy. Candy was so happy too. Afterwards I just went outside and looked up at the sky and thanked the Lord for letting me be able to have this opportunity. How fortunate am I to help others come unto Christ? How lucky am I to help people make commitments to follow Christ and help them return to live with their Heavenly Father? I seriously am so grateful to be serving here in Taiwan with these amazing people.

 
On Saturday we went knocking again, and guess who we saw? Our friend from Monday night! Haha oh dear me. We heard him shout our name, so we turned around and once again we couldn't understand anything he was saying. We offered him some pamphlets and he refused them and started walking away. But then he turned back around and said, "Alright give them to me." Haha! Then he raised his voice and started speaking to us in Taiyu! We finally just walked away from him. Haha! That night we visited a less active family with some unbaptized kids. Their English names are Tiger, Angel, and Peggy. They are so cute! The parents agreed to let us help them get baptized! Gah! They're adorable(:

 
Yesterday Candy got confirmed in church(: She now has the gift of the Holy Ghost. I have to say I am so grateful for this amazing gift from God. Through the Holy Ghost I have received so much direction and comfort in my life. It truly is a special gift. We met with Liu Tongxue's Ama (Grandma) after church. We invited her to be baptized, and she said no because she didn't want to pay money. We told her that she doesn't have to pay money, so she told us that her husband said that she shouldn't join another church. We told her that her that this was between her and God, not her and her husband. Finally she told us, "Well, I really like drinking tea." Sister Murri was like, "and...?" haha! People are so funny. 
Anyways, this week was a good week. I am so lucky to be serving here. I have seen so many miracles. I have seen people grow closer to God and Christ. I have seen people get baptized and become free from their sins. I have seen the change in people from following the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so lucky to be here.
I found an incredible scripture in the Book of Mormon. Alma 36:3 says, "I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day." Those who trust God will get through whatever difficulties they have to face in this life. God didn't say that trusting Him will take away all their troubles. He said that we will be lifted up and He will help us through them. Trials make us grow. They help us become the people that we were meant to be. Through trials we are able to humble ourselves and grow closer to God. I know that God is my Heavenly Father. I know that He loves His children immensely and wants to help them get through this life and gain experience. I know without a doubt that this church is true. I know that it is Christ's church restored on the earth today through Joseph Smith. 
I love you all so much!(:
我愛你!

簡姐妹
View of our back yard. This is the start of our running trail every morning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment